Thursday, September 29, 2011

Obama at the CBC

"I expect all of you to march with me and press on. Take off your bedroom slippers, put on your marching shoes. Shake it off. Stop complaining, stop grumbling, stop crying. We are  gonna press on. We’ve got work to do, CBC."- Obama











"How does he get away with saying this to black folk when he would never form his lips to ever say that to any other constituency?"- Tavis Smiley




I love Tavis but damn.  There is a reason why he is 47 and single.  Jk.  I know it sounded bad.   So did Obama's Father's Day message back in the day.   I know.  Saying "don't dwell" is invalidating.  It is.  I twitched.  I thought "N*gga you straight up disrespectful right now!  We got real pain and real problems and you ain't fixed shit!  And how did you know I was wearing house shoes?!  Thanks for not mentioning the socks.  (Jk.  I don't wear shoes at home.  Duh.  Broke Bourgie.)"  But saying don't dwell is also helpful (along with hours and hours of hugs and affirmations of course.)  I'm not sure it was timely right after Troy Davis' execution.  But maybe it was.  He doesn't have to say "Never forget the injustices."  or "Fight the Power."  We have been shaken awake in significant numbers.

Come on.
You know the President ain't free.
He gotta speak cryptically.  - (Not rap lyrics.  Just a chance to quote myself.)

For the literal people out there, here's a cartoon shorthand for what I believe Obama is saying.   "The power is yours!" - Captain Planet  #Nononetoldyoutorelyonpoliticiansugh  Granted.  The search for meaning should not be in labyrinth form, but guess what?  We ain't free.  My thoughts?  Direct energies elsewhere.  I'm honestly only concerned with Obama as a symbol of hope and the power of the population.  Not the popular vote (see electoral college.)  It's pointless to bank on the politics (watch the grass grow.)  "But he's the President?!"  Oh well.  Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment