Saturday, September 17, 2011

Are You Tolerant?

I used to think I was tolerant.  I'm not.  I'm indifferent. I don't mind most things.  That's close but not quite a life lead by tolerance.  I think the distinction is important.  When we do mind something we are not tolerant.  We are pack animals and we pounce.

I've been in situations with grown adults where I've witnessed "kind" and "intelligent" people attack each other or be withholding with one another.  And often others jump in for the kill.  Subtle and cunning or rough and scrappy.  All because in the moment we just can't accept or wrap our heads around the fact that someone has a different approach, demeanor, race, sexuality, economic situation, or whatever than us.  Simple stuff like they are too loud or too self-conscious, too self-assured, too raunchy, or too literal.  The superficial stuff.  Which brings me to the Rodney King aberration thats been swimming around in my head as of late, "Why can't nice people get along?"

Plurality is difficult.  Even though most of us believe that life is an experiment that should be allowed as long as we don't harm others.

No comments:

Post a Comment