Thursday, September 15, 2011

Food "Addictions"

Problem:  People living in our modern Western culture tend to be overfed (on the wrong foods) and malnourished at the same time. We are eating far too few actual nutrients.

I used to think I was just a greedy person and a "sugar addict" with a bottomless appetite for sweets.  But now I realize my body needs sugar.  I crash on low carb.  Since I've freed myself from the "naughty" label, I have stopped beating myself up over loving cake and candy bars.  This has allowed me to step out of a misguided life of deprivation and self-loathing and stop eating them.  You don't have to be a health nut.  Just make sure you are nourished and eating whole foods so you are not trying to get nutrients from nutrient poor junk foods.  Have them for pleasure not because you are hungry.

I just ask myself one question everyday.  What is a better choice right now?  And there is one rule.  No shame over cravings or a big appetite!  Seriously.  Your body is smart not stupid.  When it is craving it is not because it is a bad dirty body.  It has needs.  Let go of the myth that carbs make you fat.  Give it unrestricted amounts of fruits, veggies, and whole grains.  This translates to high carb.  Yes.  Unrestricted.

Ridding yourself of shame in a world that wants us to be sick and insecure and  sell us diet food and medicine is important.  No shame.  Be real.  Sometimes I will rock out on some plain kettle cooked potato chips or more likely some tortilla chips because it is a quick energizing "high carb" (mumbo jumbo warning: gluten free though granted low glycemic) snack especially when out and about or socializing.  Ignoring the salt, grease, and indigestion factors.  But more often I will make some homemade oven baked fries with a little sea salt and oil or lightly pan fry my own corn tortillas with a tsp of oil and again sea salt and eat 'til my stomach's content.   Yum.  The key is taking back control of your life.

And.  Don't swap one addiction for another.  At the end of the AA meeting everyone rushes to the coffee pot.  Make a better choice not just a different choice.  Don't be afraid to aim high.

Disclaimer:  Some people may be thinking that I never looked like I had any food addictions.  That's because my body doesn't like a lot of fat so I never ate a lot of greasy foods which compounds the weight issue.  Remember Jack Sprat?  Unhealthy can look a lot of different ways.  As can healthy.  Eat good foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment