Saturday, October 22, 2011

People Who Don't Say, "Thank You."


Today I got a beautiful thank you note in the mail from a friend.  I admit, I don't usually take thank you's to this level, but it was really nice.  It's not so much that I want to be appreciated as I want to know you aren't out of your fucking mind and we can be/continue to be friends.  The number of people inhabiting the Earth that don't say "it," frightens me.  No extra points for enthusiasm.  A straight-faced monotone "thank you" is fine.  An email.  It doesn't even have to be timely.  I'm not talking about going OD like a  "thanx for the add" on a social network.

It may seem trite but, repeatedly not saying "thank you," is very telling.  It shows a lack of "thoughtfulness" and for me it triggers thoughts of the potential harm that not thinking of others can cause.  These are people, nice or not, that I don't feel safe building with.  It's being entitled and not being civil.  You're disrespecting the person who was trying to make your life a little better.  I got plenty o' flaws but frankly, I am often much more comfortable with blatant self-importance than thoughtlessness.  It could be just because I relate more.  Or maybe b/c thoughtlessness is arrogance squared?  #Idon'tfronothingatall.

This rant might just be for me and you.  B/c I've realized, these people have no idea how they affect others.  Knowing your flaws is liberating.  Be your own Moses.

No comments:

Post a Comment