Friday, March 23, 2012

Must Be Nice

Today I was enjoying my dinner sitting on a stone wall in the little park on 57th and 9th Avenue when I noticed a white man in his 50's training his miniature collie on the tiny lawn that had a sign that said something straight to the point like, "No Dogs on the Lawn."   A little pomeranian walking a light-hearted young couple could not resist the collie and joined it on the grass.  I fantasized about and was nearly tempted to yell, "Can't you read, little white dogs?!"  But I thought the joke might be lost.  And I was the only black person in the park.  I pictured myself and my African American pitbull, Joanie, named after the author Joan Didion, being taken away in cuffs by the police after attempting to enjoy a frolic on the lawn.  This type of thought process did not result in the wake of tragedy although that's what prompts me to share.  There was a recent article that black kids receive more severe punishment in school.  I remember that.  Especially, the little black boys.  Must be nice...

No comments:

Post a Comment